We get a lot of questions about why we don’t include the latest and greatest skincare ingredients in products like our All-Natural Facial Serum. Turns out, most of those ingredients aren’t natural by any stretch of the imagination and we’ve been formulating neem skincare for long enough to expect them to be flashes in pan that go out of style next year.
That’s not the case with squalane. It is all natural and it’s so effective that we think it will become a standard ingredient as more people discover how well it works.
A very important aside if you want to try squalene from another company: The least-expensive squalene comes from shark livers, which means those majestic creatures are killed for no good reason. It also can be made more sustainable ingredients like sugarcane and olives. Any squalane product you buy should tell you what it is made of, or you can reasonably assume it’s made from sharks to save money. Ours is made from olives.
So exactly what is squalane? Without getting too complicated, it’s the hydrogenated version of squalene, which is found naturally in the sebum that moisturizes our skin. As we age, we make less squalene – and it usually shows.
While many products are moisturizers, squalane is also an emollient, which means its molecules are small enough that they can squeeze into spaces between skin cells and fill in the gaps. That leaves you with softer, smoother skin almost immediately. Over time, the squalane seals those spaces, helping to keep natural moisturizers on your skin.
We think adding it to the other long-recognized natural skincare ingredients will make our Facial Serum more effective than ever. Those other ingredients include:
- Cold-pressed neem oil, of course!
- Jojoba is similar to human skin oils and penetrates skin quickly to nourish lower layers. It also contains high levels of antioxidants.
- Grapeseed, sweet almond and sunflower seed oils, are high in vitamin E, essential fatty acids, minerals and linoleic acid (also known as Omega 6).
- Meadowfoam oil contains 98% long-chain fatty acids to soak quickly into skin and then form a protective moisture barrier.
- Wheat germ oil is rich in naturally occurring antioxidants including vitamin E and beta carotene.
- Essential oils of lavender and rosewood are both recognized as natural rejuvenators when used in skincare products along with their aromatherapeutic properties that provide natural stress relief.
Another important note: Except for the Nothing but Neem salve stick, the All-Natural Facial Serum is probably the “neemiest” smelling product we make. The challenge is formulating the most effective serum we possibly can, which means we need a certain concentration of neem. If you’re concerned about the scent, be sure to ask for a sample with your next order before you buy a whole bottle. And check the reviews — even people who aren’t happy about the scent love the way it makes them look!